Subject: Problem putting iPod into disc mode for RB install

Problem putting iPod into disc mode for RB install

From: Mark <discardedswimwear_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 21:13:46 +0100

hello,

Firstly, I realise that my problem is not directly a Rockbox issue, more
related to trying to get an iPod in a state where I can install Rockbox, but
I'm hoping that there's someone who can help. Apologies for wandering off
the RB theme, and if you think it's better please reply off-list.

OK, I'm trying to install Rockbox on a 60GB iPod 5G.
The problem is that when I plug it into my PC, it is not detected.
I have spent hours trying to get it into iPod "disk mode" so that it'd be
seen by the PC, to no avail.
I know it was working because I had earlier today plugged it in and it had
been detected by the PC, and also then by XPlay which then proceded to try
to install itself on the iPod.
subsequent disconnection and reconnection of the iPod now mean that it is no
longer being detected by my PC.
(One slight minor complication is that I'm blind... but that's not too
relevant since the iPod screen is broken anyway. The rest of it was working
fine though)
Once it is in disk mode, I'll be fine doing the rest of the installation.

I suspect that the probable solution will be to take it along to an Apple
store, but I'm not sure exactly how helpful they'll be when they see this 5G
iPod with a broken screen that won't even get to disk mode. I will give
them a try, but if there is anyone on the list who has experience of trying
to get a stubborn iPod into disk mode, and who can help then that'd be
great.

Many thanks,

Mark
London