Subject: Re: comparison of microphone inputs for different RB Hardware?

Re: comparison of microphone inputs for different RB Hardware?

From: Pieter Bos <>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 01:12:26 +0200

"Jon Nicoll" <> wrote in message
> Hello there
> I've just joined this list. I'm interested in getting the Rockbox
> functionality onto one of the various available HW platforms. I don't yet
> own
> the requisite HW and I'm looking for advice as to what to consider. One of
> the main areas of importance to me is the quality of the recording side. I
> haven't found much information on this in the documentation I've scanned
> so
> far. So, any comments? How do the preamps differ between Archos and
> iRiver?
> Any models stand out in any particular way? Anything else I should
> consider?

The Archos units don't have a preamp, although you can buy a simple battery
operated one from them for cheap. The iriver ones (the h100 and h300 series
at least) does.

Another option for a mobile mp3 recorder is the archos pma 430, although it
doesn't run rockbox (yet? porting the simulator shouldn't be too much of a
problem considering this already runs linux). It works a lot better than my
archos ondio with the archos preamp, although i have to keep the screen on
as turning it off introduces lots of noise. Plus it has a HD and quite a lot
of battery life when recording.

The latest ipod series have microphone inputs available for sale separately
which allow for a much better recording quality than the old ipods. Those
microphone adapters probably do not work with rockbox, but they do contain

I haven't found other 'normal' mp3 players featuring a preamp.