Subject: Re: Archos Gmini xs202s

Re: Archos Gmini xs202s

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:04:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Bluechip wrote:

>> No, it is not and it is not likely to ever be.
>
> That sentence reads as if you(collective) would _favour_ it never being
> supported. If some coder got Rockbox working on the Gmini series, you
> you(collective) prefer him/her to fork?

No, but that someone would first have to:

1 - cleanup the int/long situation (CalmRISC which is used in these devices is
     a 16bit thing)
2 - make sure the gcc port is working - there is no official support for
     CalmRISC in gcc
3 - deal with the hardward architecture and plugins/codecs

... and I don't consider it likely that anyone will pass these obstacles. If
someone does, then it will be a proof of true dedication!

> Which also leads me to a thought I had the other day. Many of the new units
> have USB-Master and video functionality - is the planning or even
> expectation for supporting these features?

Rockbox does play mpeg2 videos already, albeit still without sound, on the
color targets.

And yes, we want USB host support added but that's quite some work.

>> There was once some work done on a port for that series of devices but the
>> work was abandoned by the single developer working on it (like a year ago)
>> and it has not since been worked on.
>
> Is that work still valid, or is it redundant "needs a total rework" code?

I'd guess that there's a serious case of bitrot in that area, as Rockbox
development has exploded since that work was abandoned.