Subject: 16/24bit?

16/24bit?

From: David Pedersen <dav-ped_at_frisurf.no>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:46:15 -0400

Sorry, this migh be a silly question:

I have approx. 200 MiniDiscs, filled with recordings. I now want to transfer
them into my Archos. The miniDiscs are mainly recorded with 24bit
technology. My soundCard on the computer only supports 16bit. Ok, I know,
that it is no problem to record the 24bit discs with my 16bit soundcard, as
I already have done so, in several cases; and then turn the whole thing into
MP3. But my question is:
   Would I have any benefit of getting a 24bit soundcard for the computer?
Does the MP3 technology care for 24bit? And will the RB/Archos give me
better sound with the 24bits?

David
Archos JBR v1, RB2.5