Subject: My IRiver will not talk

My IRiver will not talk

From: Melissa Keys <melkeys_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:21:10 -0500

Hi. This is a very long message so thanks for reading!
I am very new to Rockbox! I really need some help though.

I am from the US. I just got my new IRiver H320 player today. I got it so
that I could install Rockbox onto it and use the speaking menus since I am
blind and would love to have an MP3 player that is somewhat accessible.

I have been reading the manuals and installation instructions for at least
two days now, but I think I must have still missed something. I downloaded
a version of the IRiver firmware from the rockbox website. I downloaded the
fonts and a daily build that match my player. I also downloaded the
firmware patcher and a couple of different english.voice files. I patched
the firmware and it said the patch was successful. I unzipped the contents
of the zipped up daily build onto the root directory of my player. I also
put the modified .hex file in to the root directory. I put one of the
english.voice files into the langs directory of the .rockbox folder.
I also installed the fonts. The instructions for upgrading the firmware were
clear and I walked a sighted person through the steps for doing this.
Everything turned out fine, the upgrade was supposedly done and now my
player won't speak. I am also not sure I have the proper key sequence for
turning the player on since I cannot seem to find an accessible manual for
my player. If anyone knows where I can get one that would be great! I
tried using a different english.voice file and it didn't change things. I
can't seem to get the player to turn on very consistently by pressing the
"play" button, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Once it comes
on I can play some songs that I already placed in the player. I have had
the power adapter plugged in to the unit since I got it earlier this
afternoon. Please let me know if I have missed anything... I don't know
what I did wrong.

Sincerely,
Melissa