Subject: Re: alarm

Re: alarm

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 08:15:03 -0500

It will only turn on and do nothing if you have resume on startup disabled.
If you're already setting an alarm is it that hard to also enable a second
option? Setting it to work one way than changing it to another after people
have gotten used to it is usually not preferable to determining how it can
be multifunctional in advance and then allowing it to be used with that
functionality from the start.

For example, with a small change to the build Rockbox can be configured to
run a plugin at startup (if it exists with a particular name) and this as
well could have potential to be used with the alarm functionality. To me
it's vastly favorable for the alarm to simply be "wake up the player" and
all other aspects of it be a second layer of "determining what the player
does when it turns on."

I can also imagine a situation in which I simply need a visible cue to do
something, such as leaving a player or player's remote on my desk while I'm
working where the LCD coming on and lighting would clearly notify me that
the alarm has gone out without decoding having to begin, and the player
attempting to stock and fill a playlist. Which means I personally, however
ridiculous it might sound, have a use for a non-playing alarm.

Leaving the functions separated allows for all of this, while hardcoding it
means that in the future any new functionality has to then as well be
hardcoded into the alarm subsystem as well rather than simply becoming a new
on-startup option.