Subject: How in the heck...

How in the heck...

From: Jacob Rau <jacob.rau_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 09:42:15 -0400

...can blind people navigate the directories on the nano?

I just tried it--my screen is busted, I wanted to make sure everything
was okay and it is...

but...

the voice support is so "lag-y"! By the time it had finished spelling
one directory's name, I had overshot and was on the next directory. Why
doesn't output entirely STOP when the next directory is highlighted?
Instead, it keeps spelling the directory I was on until it's done, then
starts reading the next. Is it that most blind people use the 430wpm
voices, or do they have a different technique for controlling it? To top
it off, when I finally found my way to my songs, it kept talking during
the intro to a song. I like that it lowers the volume of the song to
about half and talks, but I have no idea what it was reading, and it
kept going for about 10-15sec into the song. Is it reading the screen,
and is confused about the scrolling text on the while playing screen, or
is it emptying the queue from my excursion through the directories, or
what? I know, I'll probably end up getting the source code and figuring
this out myself.

I just am really surprised that anyone can use this interface. How do
you do it!!??

Jacob