Subject: Re: alarm

Re: alarm

From: victor rajewski <askvictor_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:41:15 +1000

On 9/23/06, Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de> wrote:
> In fact rockbox already has a *true* RTC alarm feature in the
> core, it's just currently only working on Archos FM recorder,
> recorder v2, and with a tiny hardware mod, recorder v1.
>
> With true RTC alarm I mean that the device is powered off after
> setting the alarm. It will power up at the set alarm time, using
> the hardware alarm feature of the RTC. Just don't forget to
> have 'resume on startup' enabled.
>
> Afaik this should be possible to implement with the RTC used in
> the iriver H300, iaudio X5, and the iPods as well.

I was under the impression that the RTC in the H300 (and presumably
the others) was not connected in hardware in a way that it could
switch the unit on. Of course what you describe is preferable, but
only if the hardware is capable of it. This would basically require
the alarm pin of the RTC to be connected in the same fashion as the
'on' button, right?

With regard to wake up behaviour, I think that resume-on-wake is not
ideal. If I set the alarm to go off at 7am, then switch it on, then an
hour later decide I want to switch it on again (or someone else
switches it on), then I'd have to remember to set it to start playing
again before switching it off. I reckon that when the unit wakes up,
it should check to see if it has been woken by the RTC (say, by
checking what time it is, and comparing this to the alarm time). If it
was the alarm, then run whatever alarm action was specified (play a
particular song/playlist, radio, or start recording or something).
Otherwise, run the default startup behaviour.

vik