Subject: Re: Configuration of the List

Re: Configuration of the List

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:37:59 +0200

> Please let me discuss one of my ongoing complaints about this list which has
> never been addressed. When someone posts to the list, their Email address
> appears in FULL on the Rockbox Mail Archives page.

This is definitely not true and also has been said on such a
discussion before. When looking up your mail address in the archive's
source code (of your original post) I only find something like this:
mailto:grant_hardy_at_telus.net?Subject=Re:%20Configuration%20of%20the%20List

> Since subscribing to the list, I am getting flooded with spam and have had
> to switch to a secondary Email address. This is the only list I'm on where
> this is a problem. Could we please have this fixed? Some people might not

I really don't understand your complain. I get spam to mail addresses
I registered but have *never* published anywhere, so what's the point?
Why don't you just use an additional mail address for mailing lists
like this? That's the way I do, and my personal mail address (which I
hand out only to a small group of friends) gets spammed way more than
my gmail address (which I'm using about exclusively for mailing
lists).

Also, I don't think obfuscating mail addresses is the right way. From
my experience spammers also try to pick up names and randomly generate
mail addresses from that. Changing the behaviour of the archives
wouln't help at all -- and you should always be aware of the fact that
lists are public and mailing to a list reveals your mail address to
the list. There are plenty of ways for spammers to get your mail
address on different ways. IMO the only way to answer spam is to use a
good filter. There are quite a couple of them, and good mail clients
already have one integrated (like Thunderbird).

But as Rocker said, you'd better mail the list admins directly. I
don't see a reason why the archive behaviour should get changed or why
this specific list should be the reason for you receiving spam.

 - Dominik