Subject: Re: Blind user has iPod questions

Re: Blind user has iPod questions

From: Woody Anna Dresner <wadresner_at_hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:49:35 -1000

Hi Sarai,

I'll try and answer some of your questions.

>1. Can I indipendly install rockbox? If so, is their a page for
>blind users, like the Archos has?
Yes to both of these. There are detailed instructions at
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IpodInstallation
You might also want to visit the Portable Players Portal at
http://www.hartgen.org/portable.html
and check out the iPod page for useful information and links.

>2. How do I get my unit in disk mode?
>You install iTunes and the iPod software, attach the iPod, and
>configure it for disk mode using the iPod page of the Preferences
>dialog at the bottom of the Edit menu (at least, that's where it is
>in iTunes 6; I don't know about the new version).

>3. Do I have to do anything to format it in Fat 32 for Windows?
>No. Just run the iPod software and iTunes on your PC and it will be
>formatted properly.

>4. Do I have to use any of the software that comes with the unit?
>If so, how accessible is it?
>You do need the software to get the iPod in disk mode. You don't
>need it after that unless you want to transfer books from
>Audible.com or tracks purchased at the iTunes store. To do those
>sorts of things, it helps a lot to have scripts (there's info about
>that on the Portable Players Portal), but you don't need them if you
>just want to use iTunes to configure the iPod for disk use.

>5. Do I just copy the music to it like the unit was another drive?
>So do I copy the music just like on my Archos?

Yes, if you're running Rockbox.

>6. Is there any major mistakes blind or sighted people make that I
>need to avoid?
>Be sure you install the latest CVS voice file, not the one that went
>with the last release of Rockbox.

As for the other problem of determining which iPod you're ordering,
you could buy one on eBay, or buy from a computer store where someone
has a clue what they're selling. Or go for the 60 GB model.

Regards,
Anna