Subject: Re: Blind user has iPod questions

Re: Blind user has iPod questions

From: Woody Anna Dresner <>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:49:35 -1000

Hi Sarai,

I'll try and answer some of your questions.

>1. Can I indipendly install rockbox? If so, is their a page for
>blind users, like the Archos has?
Yes to both of these. There are detailed instructions at
You might also want to visit the Portable Players Portal at
and check out the iPod page for useful information and links.

>2. How do I get my unit in disk mode?
>You install iTunes and the iPod software, attach the iPod, and
>configure it for disk mode using the iPod page of the Preferences
>dialog at the bottom of the Edit menu (at least, that's where it is
>in iTunes 6; I don't know about the new version).

>3. Do I have to do anything to format it in Fat 32 for Windows?
>No. Just run the iPod software and iTunes on your PC and it will be
>formatted properly.

>4. Do I have to use any of the software that comes with the unit?
>If so, how accessible is it?
>You do need the software to get the iPod in disk mode. You don't
>need it after that unless you want to transfer books from
> or tracks purchased at the iTunes store. To do those
>sorts of things, it helps a lot to have scripts (there's info about
>that on the Portable Players Portal), but you don't need them if you
>just want to use iTunes to configure the iPod for disk use.

>5. Do I just copy the music to it like the unit was another drive?
>So do I copy the music just like on my Archos?

Yes, if you're running Rockbox.

>6. Is there any major mistakes blind or sighted people make that I
>need to avoid?
>Be sure you install the latest CVS voice file, not the one that went
>with the last release of Rockbox.

As for the other problem of determining which iPod you're ordering,
you could buy one on eBay, or buy from a computer store where someone
has a clue what they're selling. Or go for the 60 GB model.