Subject: Re: Archos frustrations

Re: Archos frustrations

From: Manuel Dejonghe <>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 18:25:22 +0200

On 10/5/06, Erin M. Chaves <> wrote:
> Just curious if this has happened to anyone who owns or has owned one of the
> Archos models. This last spring, a friend of mine got me an Archos Jukebox
> Recorder from EBay. I was when I first began using Rockbox. The Jukebox
> worked cwell enough, but sometimes the settings would change by themselves.
> This would happen while I was pressing either the up/down or the
> previous/next buttons. I would always know when something wasn't right,
> because I couldn't change the volume, change the track, or even pause until
> I stopped the unit. Everything would work fine after I resumed playing
> except for the fact that repeat would suddenly be on, or "showed files"
> option had been set to display all. Eventually this Archos had battery
> issues, so I bought an FM recorder on EBay. It was barely used so it was in
> excellent condition, and I really like it! But, now I'm having the same
> problem. I'll be using the volume buttons, and all of the sudden, the keys
> seem to lock up. Then I have to stop and see what has been changed. So
> weird! I'm blind, so I can't see what is on the screen, and every time it
> happens, no one is around to ask.
> I know that was very lengthy, but have any of you seen this? Does any of
> what I'm saying make sense? If this happens with every Archos model, screw
> it. I'll save up for an iPod!

Hi Erin,

I am using two archos devices for quite a while now, and have never
seen such problems, at least not the way that I was not able to
understand WHY it happened. I have to admit, I'm not blind, so I far
more easily see what the problem could be.
Do you happen to know which version of the rockbox software you are using ?
Are you using the voice-menus ?
In that way, you should be able to hear where you landet.
One menu path you should learn by hard is how you can save and restore
a settings file. So anytime you are stuck, you restart the device and
simply restore the settings file. In that way, whatever you changed,
your beloved set of settings is applied.