Subject: Re: Make voice script

Re: Make voice script

From: ScottLearned <SLearned_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 12:48:19 -0700

Hamish Mackenzie Wrote:

I then went on to try and make Australian sounding .talk files for my files
and folders. I went to the speech option in control panel and selected my
Australian Lee voice and set the speed to 80% and selected okay to have this
as my selected TTS option. I then went and ran the voicebox.hta file to
make my .talk files but for some reason it is defaulting to the Microsoft
Sam voice and not my Australian Lee voice. Is there some setting I can
change in the voiceutils.vbs file to make sure it uses the Australian Lee
voice?

Hi Hamish,
changing speech settings in the control panel only affects the
MakeVoices.vbs file.

You can change the voice clip voice in voiceUtils.vbs by editing the line:
 Set spkr.Voice = spkr.GetVoices("Language=C09.

You can get the language number of your voice by running the listVoices.vbs
script. Just replace the current and you should be ready to go!
P.s. c09 is Scansoft Karen, which by the way is an excellent voice as well.

Speed and volume are also changed in the voiceUtil.vbs file a few lines
down:
 spkr.Rate = 4. '-10 <--> +10
 spkr.Volume = 90 ' 0 <--> 100

Also, if you want to create a voice clip for the rockbox.ipod firmware so it
won't spell out, copy the following line to the file extension list towards
the bottom of the script, being careful to add all spaces.

        (extension = "ipod") or _

For the iRiver players, it is:

        (extension = "iriver") or _

Then run the voiceBox script over the file.

If you want to change the bitrate of the voice clips, you need to edit this
line in the voiceBox.wsf file:

 Const LameOpts = "-m m -b 80 -S" ' --resample 16" ' original settings
I believe the default was 24, but I changed it to my prefered setting of 80
to match the quality of my Voice file.

You will just have to play around with the settings to find out what works
best for you.

HTH,

Scott