Subject: iriver 320 battery usage

iriver 320 battery usage

From: Paul Hopewell <hopewell_at_hopewell.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:17:44 +0100

Hello,
Many thanks for the info on how to get rockbox to speak the % remaining
battery charge.
I have a few questions about how rockbox drains the iriver rechargeable
battery...

1. Does using Rockbox with speech output for menus, file names, and
folder names drain the battery significantly more than using the native
iriver firmware.
2. Should I still expect to get around 16 hours of play time using
rockbox. My usage pattern is to play audio books or FM radio for 30 to 60
minutes and then power off.
3. Will rockbox work with the external battery pack. I recall reading
somewhere that rockbox will not work when the AC charger cable is plugged
in. The external battery pack has a plug in cable similar to the AC charger
cable.
4. Do you have any tips on how to maximise batttery life. Currently I
have set LCD backlight to off, LCD brightness to its minimum value of 3, and
disk power off to yes.
5. Would enabling directory cache help extend battery life.
6. If I need to pause playback for say 10 minutes to answer the phone
is it better to power off and later power on, or is it better to have a long
idle power off time.
7. As my iriver is a reconditioned model it is possible that the
internal battery is old and is not holding its charge as it should. Is it
possible to replace the internal battery. Is it possible to purchase a spare
internal battery plus charger for use when the internal battery has run out
and there is no means of recharging it.

Many thanks for your help.

Paul Hopewell
hopewell_at_hopewell.org.uk