Subject: Re: Sound Quality Settings

Re: Sound Quality Settings

From: Christopher Woods <christof_at_infinitus.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 16:34:41 -0000

Ah, you're a blind user - I didn't realise that, I'm a sighted rockbox user
myself.

Bitrates of 16, 24, 48, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 192, 224, 256, 320 kbps are
all MP3 bitrates (and for mono MP3 files, just halve those bitrates for the
same quality settings, as the bitrate is divided up between the L and R
channel for stereo files). Wave files are (if they're following the Red Book
CD standard) always 44100 kilohertz at 16 bits per second samplerate and in
stereo, and I know that the build of rockbox I use on my device can only
record to wave file at the aforementioned settings.

I'll have to put the latest build of rockbox onto my device and check these
new options out sometime, because from what you've said, it sounds like the
ability to choose a bitrate to record directly to MP3 has been implemented,
but the option to actually choose the file format isn't in the same dialog
screen... Any other sighted users who've used this build care to jump into
the discussion?