Subject: Bookmarking audio books (was: Re: using i pod)

Bookmarking audio books (was: Re: using i pod)

From: Stéphane Doyon <s.doyon_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 20:03:57 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Paul Louden wrote:

> About the only audiobook-related feature I might consider requesting in the
> future is a bookmark option that only automatically bookmarks files with a
> specific tag, so that I could pre-tag my audiobooks and have them
> automatically get unique bookmarks without a whole host of them for the rest
> of my music.

I too feel a need for something along those lines: I want my position in
audio books to be bookmarked automatically, but I don't want meaningless
bookmark files popping up all over my music, especially if I'm just
"browsing" it.

I wasn't too sure what would be a convenient way to "tag" my audio books
however, and I came up with a different idea: what if there was an
autocreate bookmark option that adds a new bookmark only if the bookmark
file already exists? That way, if I want bookmarks in a particular audio
book or podcast playlist or whatever, all I have to do is create the first
such bookmark explicitly, with the create bookmark function of the context
menu. After that, my position will be bookmarked on stop automatically for
that directory / playlist, and not anywhere else.

Do you think this would be a convenient way of doing it?
I have posted a patch that does that in Flyspray, it's P#6272.

--
Stéphane Doyon
<s.doyon_at_videotron.ca>