Subject: Re: ipod - manual backlights

Re: ipod - manual backlights

From: Alexander Bluem <>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:03:29 +0100

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 18:32:59 -0500
Michael DiFebbo <> wrote:

> > previous / original firmware... most odd or even annoying is the
> > lack of manual backlights... like it used to be on the ipod
> > pressing the menu button for a couple of seconds. then the lights
> > turned on. pressing the menu button once more for a couple of
> > seconds switched them off again.
> I don't use the Apple firmware much, but just doing a quick test on
> my iPod, it looks like the backlight turns on whenever the iPod
> detects a button press or scroll event, and then turns off in
> whatever time is set in the "backlight timer" setting. Pressing and
> holding the menu button doesn't seem to have any effect. The
> backlight is still controlled by the timer setting.
> In any event, Rockbox has a number of options for controlling the
> backlight, which you can find described here:

Thank you for the response. I DID check all the available backlight
settings and I still do miss the previously described feature.

The reason behind is simple. Occasionally at night, when going from
one place to another, I simply can't see much what's on the display.
So if I can't see very well, chances are quite slim that I will find
the settings for backlight.

Also, I prefer to have the backlights off by default to save energy,
so I can use the music play function of this player..

Therefor I need some kind of hotkey to turn the lights on and off
WITHOUT browsing the settings. During playback the select button
doesn't do much when pressed for a long time - this one could be used
to toggle the backlights. Maybe even SELECT + (NEXT or PREV).

P.S.: Please don't reply directly, use the mailinglist. Unless it is
something you want only me to know.