Subject: Re: ipod - manual backlights

Re: ipod - manual backlights

From: Jonas H <rasher_at_rasher.dk>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 10:21:21 +0100

Alexander Bluem wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 18:32:59 -0500
> Michael DiFebbo <medifebbo_at_rcn.com> wrote:
>
>>> previous / original firmware... most odd or even annoying is the
>>> lack of manual backlights... like it used to be on the ipod
>>> pressing the menu button for a couple of seconds. then the lights
>>> turned on. pressing the menu button once more for a couple of
>>> seconds switched them off again.
>> I don't use the Apple firmware much, but just doing a quick test on
>> my iPod, it looks like the backlight turns on whenever the iPod
>> detects a button press or scroll event, and then turns off in
>> whatever time is set in the "backlight timer" setting. Pressing and
>> holding the menu button doesn't seem to have any effect. The
>> backlight is still controlled by the timer setting.
>>
>> In any event, Rockbox has a number of options for controlling the
>> backlight, which you can find described here:
>> http://download.rockbox.org/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo/rockbox-buildch7.html#x10-940007.3
>>

> Thank you for the response. I DID check all the available backlight
> settings and I still do miss the previously described feature.
>
> The reason behind is simple. Occasionally at night, when going from
> one place to another, I simply can't see much what's on the display.
> So if I can't see very well, chances are quite slim that I will find
> the settings for backlight.

Use the setting General > Display > First Keypress Enables Backlight Only.

[manual quote]
http://download.rockbox.org/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo/rockbox-buildch7.html#x10-940007.3

With this option enabled the first keypress while the backlight is
turned off will only turn the backlight on without having any other
effect. When disabled the first keypress will also perform its
appropriate action.
[/manual quote]

--
Jonas H