Subject: Re: ipod - manual backlights

Re: ipod - manual backlights

From: Michael DiFebbo <medifebbo_at_rcn.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 06:36:28 -0500

> During playback the select button
> doesn't do much when pressed for a long time - this one could be used
> to toggle the backlights. Maybe even SELECT + (NEXT or PREV).

Holding the select button enters the file (or folder) context menu or
the WPS context menu (depending on where you are when you do it). Among
other things, these menus allow you to open plugins, create bookmarks,
and insert or queue songs in playlists. This is central to the
operation of Rockbox. I don't know if there are any other available
unused button combinations.

> I simply don't like my ipod to light up everytime I touch a button or
> the scroll pad. I want to turn on the lights when I press a button
> LONG enough.

How does one get the original firmware to do this? As I mentioned
above, my limited observation of the original firmware is that the
backlight turns on upon any button press or scroll event and turns off
based on the backlight timer setting.

> So obviously my idea, or this function is not implemented. You could
> see it as a feature request then.

In that case, you should consider opening a feature request on our Flyspray system.