Subject: RE: Sound Settings menu not voiced in Context menu WPS

RE: Sound Settings menu not voiced in Context menu WPS

From: Stéphane Doyon <>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 19:42:26 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, wrote:

>> wrote:
>>> Is there any reason why the menu items in the Sound settings menu of the context menu in the WPS are not voiced?
>> Currently, the Sound Settings menu cannot be voiced during playback.
>> This is because entering the Sound Settings menu switches to low latency
>> mode so that changes to sound settings will be heard as soon as
>> possible. Unfortunately, this means taht speech will not work because
>> there is not enough audio in the buffer at a time with which to mix the
>> voice audio. A work around would be to have an option to disable low
>> latency mode if voice is in use, but the drawback is that if one uses
>> crossfading, one would have to wait quite a while before any changes to
>> sound settings took effect (you would have to wait at least the length
>> of your crossfade buffer).
> Visually impaired now have no access to this sub menu.

Indeed. To many visually impaired users, the choice between crossfade and
a working sound settings menu during playback is pretty easy: crossfade is
definitely not a priority. I find that when crossfade is off and the
statement activating low latency is commented out, the responsiveness to
sound menu settings changes seems acceptable.

Stéphane Doyon