Subject: Re: Help with Iaudio installation please

Re: Help with Iaudio installation please

From: Stéphane Doyon <s.doyon_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:13:15 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, Graham Roby wrote:

> Hi Stéfane,
>
> The player turns itself off when the drive spins down, it just goes
> completely dead.

You have only a boot loader on there, it's not supposed to do much.

As I understand it (someone correct me), there is some sort of "monitor"
code in the x5 that handles USB storage functionality as well as firmware
upgrades. That part is not changed when you upgrade the firmware or
install the Rockbox loader. You want to make sure the device is off so
that monitor can handle USB for you. It only works when the device is OFF.

When you turn it on, I presume the monitor reads the firmware from flash
and runs that. You've replaced that with the Rockbox loader. All that
loader does is read the actual Rockbox executable, the rockbox.iaudio
file, from the disk. You don't have that file on your disk.

You THINK it turns itself off at that point, and it should and probably
does, but I'm saying you perhaps can't be entirely sure. I'm not familiar
with the RB x5 bootloader, but perhaps it doesn't handle this error case
perfectly and doesn't reset the device properly. Perhaps the Rockbox
loader could be wedged somehow. That's why I'm insisting you reset it and
make sure it stays off, so the monitor can operate.

> I've tried pushing a pin in to the reset hole but with no joy.

Someone else will need to help you then, as I'm not particularly familiar
with the x5 hardware and RB loader.

--
Stéphane Doyon
<s.doyon_at_videotron.ca>