Subject: Re: VoiceBox

Re: VoiceBox

From: Brian Wolven <bcwolven_at_jhu.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 13:15:23 -0500

Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> Andrea Sherry wrote:
>> So as I understand your reply, this is for browsing files from the PC
>> and not from the menu in the Iriver?
>
> Of course not on the PC. I repeat: "The file browser in Rockbox then
> plays the .talk clips while you browse."
>
> Rockbox runs on the iriver, not on the PC.

As Linus said, you *create* the .talk clips on your PC (fast CPU, lots
o' disk space, runs Windows), and the .talk clips are then "played" by
Rockbox. A realtime text-to-speech capability was way too much for the
CPU's of the early players to handle, although that is becoming less of
an issue these days.

Depending on how you organize your music and transfer it to your player,
you can either:

a) Plug your player in with the USB cable so that your PC sees it as an
external drive, and then run the scripts directly on the files and
folders on that drive, or

b) Run the scripts on the music files and folders on your PC, and then
synchronize (copy) everything over to your player.