Subject: RE: An old new experience

RE: An old new experience

From: Christopher Woods <christof_at_infinitus.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 05:44:00 -0000

The H140 is a total pain in the arse to take apart - the hard drive is
sandwiched between two layers of PCB, all the screws are tiny Torx screws
(of varying lengths), to get the hard drive into its seat (and connected to
the mini-ATA connector) is an absolute mission - and it's night on
impossible to remove the battery connection without the constant worry that
you're going to do permanent damage to the PCB part (the 'socket' part) of
the connector. When my player froze (totally froze, reset button wouldn't do
anything either) I had to take it apart - while it was still on! - and short
out the pins from the battery connection to the PCB. Oh, and to do this I
had to remove the hard drive - with the power still on (!!) - so I could get
to the battery connector, which is wisely on the underside of the bottom PCB
layer.

It was an absolute mission putting it all back together - the side buttons
have their own little strip panel, and you have to make sure it's all
perfectly aligned when you put it back together. I'm not saying it's
impossible (after all, a new like me managed it), but I wouldn't want to do
it again any time soon unless it was absolutely necessitated.

I'm sure I took some photos, lemme see if they're around here somewhere...
Aha: http://kerblam.co.uk/pictures/iriverh140inbits/

I took some shots to identify chips used on the PCB (I thought I might as
well, even though they're full-documented on the Rockbox site, there's
always the off chance that particular components might be different). Most
of the other shots show: the dimensions of the hard drive compared to a 2p
piece, the hard drive in situ with its blue rubber shock shield on (that's a
PAIN to get on and off, and you have to take it off to remove the hard drive
to get to the battery compartment). You can also see the battery -> PCB
connector, and how mangled I made it through trying to (carefully, mind)
extract it with tweezers, various small tools... I had no luck at all
whatsoever, and ended up giving up and just shorting the pins leading onto
the PCB as I mentioned above (risky, I know, but needs must).

And yeah, there are wires really flimsily-soldered onto the PCB for the side
panel buttons, which you have to wrap the wires for around the side of the
PCBs in just the right place, otherwise the entire case won't shut
properly... Arg, I did get the overwhelming sensation that they weren't
really designed for re-closure once opened ;)

Hope these photos are of some use to someone.