Subject: Re: Stylishness of Rockbox GUI

Re: Stylishness of Rockbox GUI

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 06:46:26 +0100

Stephan Chudowski wrote:
> But there is one thing, that makes me wonder: Are there no other ways to
> make RockBox look 'chique' than WPS? I reallized, that WPS is a
> possebility to make the interface of the player in 'playing mode'
> stylish in any kind I like, okay, but what about the menues? What about
> Fonts? Okay, there are some shipped in the fonts-Package, but hey - has
> never anybody reallized, that the majority of those are serife fonts,
> which are hardly readable on mini-pixel-displays? That most of them are
> unnatural small or unnatural large for displays of MP3-Player-Size?

Yes. We are all aware of this. However, the looks have never been a
priority for the developers.

> So: I know that this is an OpenSource Project and i would like to know,
> if there is an interest in improving the 'stylishness' of the RockBox
> GUI at all. I would like to help at this job in creating graphics and
> ideas for a more stylish RockBox GUI. And I would like to know, what has
> to be done for this.

Yes, we would appreciate if someone had a look at the overall looks of
the GUI. Feel free to join in and make things happen. Please bear in
mind, however, that Rockbox runs on many targets, with small LCD's, and
even monochrome.

Linus