Subject: Archos Recorder V1 - Recordings Clipping

Archos Recorder V1 - Recordings Clipping

From: Bluechip <csbluechip_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 19:39:47 +0000

Hi,

I somehow feel that my question is most likely not about Rockbox, but
about the Archos Jukebox V1 itself - but I could always be wrong (it
has happened before <shhh>).

I have an official Archos stereo collar/clip-mic: A pair of condenser
mics in a little tube with a battery box mid-cable. The battery box
holds a 1.5V AAA cell and a small amplifier circuit built out of
transistors (two per side if I recall correctly). There is also a
"volume" wheel which I leave on max.

My girlfriend asks me to record a particular song for her [how cute
is that?] ...So I plug it all in, clip the mic to the washing airer
at about chest level and aim me and my acoustic guitar (?my acoustic
guitar and I?) at it.

The recordings are INCREDIBLY clean given the nature of the whole
setup (cheap mp3 recorder, cheap mic, poor room acoustics, etc.) ...A
little chorus+reverb+eq (in that order fwiw) and I'm not the only one
to be impressed at the quality of the recordings. (The less said
about my musical skills the better, possibly.)

So there I am ...just about to tweak the gain to maximise/normalise
the track so that the final volume is 'acceptable' ...and I noticed
something which strikes me as strange ...There is clipping on the
original recording at "-6dB" [Says soundForge v8]

I'm used to working through a PC where you have considerably more
headroom than that.

What am I missing which may help me understand why this clipping is occuring?

BC