Subject: Re: X5 USB question

Re: X5 USB question

From: Andre Allavena <>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 09:32:39 -0500

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006, Ray Lambert wrote:
> Brandon asked:
> > Does one absolutely have to use the subpack for USB after Rockbox is
> > installed, or can the USB on the side work as well? I realize that the one
> > on the side is the OTG, but I'm wondering if it also handles data
> > transfers from Windows.
> James Dean responded:
> > No. The one on the side is a host port only. (It can only receive data) and
> > that is for something like a camera. So, the only way you can get it to show
> That's actually not true. If you're running the cowon fw, the usb port
> on the side does work to xfer files as well. I haven't tried it on
> Winblows, but it works on Linux and I would presume it works on Winblows
> as well.
> It does not work, however, if you're running rockbox. I suppose it
> would be nice to have this but, seeing as you need the darn subpack
> anyway just to charge the thing, it still won't save you from having to
> carry the subpack around with you; so it may not be worth the effort.
> I love the X5 but the subpack really sucks. I think it's a seriously
> ill-conceived configuration. I would have rather they made the X5 a
> little larger and done away with the subpack entirely.

Doesn't the original firmware also allow you to charge through USB?
I remember reading this on the players characteristics. I don't remember
though if it was on Cowon's site, or a thrid party merchant.

It would be nice to charge through USB, (and even better, charge through
the USB plug on the side, and not ned the subpack).