Subject: RE: Archos Recorder V1 - Recordings Clipping

RE: Archos Recorder V1 - Recordings Clipping

From: Bluechip <csbluechip_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 17:38:55 +0000

>Sounds like either the dynamic range of your little microphone or the JBR
>isn't working on the same scale as Soundforge.

That would make sense of it! Thank You.

>Dynamic mics that small? Hmm, I'd be a bit dubious of the potential full
>range of frequencies you could get from that, though I guess if you're happy
>then that's fine.

Yeah. To be honest I was expecting to have to go and get the SM-5*'s
(58 for me, 57 for the guitar) and mixing desk and hook it all up to
the PC ...but the recordings that came out of the little
condenser-pair via the Archos were more than good enough to give to a
loved one, who essentially will like it, not for the production, but
for the fact it was recorded for them.

>One thing though - make sure you save the original raw recordings you make,

Oh goD yes! NEVER erase your masters!

>I've had it in the past (before my recording skills matured to the point
>where I realised this) where I've made a recording of something, dolloped
>effects, verb, chorus onto it, then months or years later gone back to it
>and thought, bloody hell, it sounds awful with all that reverb on, just
>completely ruins it - I wish I could notch it down so it was only _just_
>perceivable (and I've since learnt that the best applications of reverb are
>in situations where you don't notice it), or possibly get rid of it
>completely.

I agree 100% Beginners LOVE to smother their recordings in "in the
bath" style reverb. Which is all very good if you can't sing, but
not very nice if you can.

I put my effects on with ACID. This means that the master is never
touched. It's not really what ACID was designed for, but it does the
job perfectly - AND LEAVES THE MASTERS IN TACT :-)

>So, I always keep a copy of the raw audio alongside any processed versions I
>make, too... Hopefully you already learnt to do these kinda things yourself
>(it's just common sense really, ain't it) but if I'd saved the original
>recordings of some of my earlier stuff it would've made my life a WHOLE load
>easier more recently. I sense something about learning the hard way being
>said...

One day I will work out how to transfer all my ancient 4-track
recordings onto the PC.

If you want to go right off topic, or chat to me off-group ...I'd
love to know how to get my old 4-track recordings on to a PC and
synched. I've worked out how to get 3 tracks off, but can't work out
how to get the 4th ...then the horrific job of trying to clean them up - LOL.

BC