Subject: Re: [System Resources] Replaygain, Crossfeed, EQ

Re: [System Resources] Replaygain, Crossfeed, EQ

From: Thom Johansen <thomj_at_pvv.ntnu.no>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:15:57 +0100

Mehmet Catalbas wrote:
> I have 5G iPod and when using Replaygain, Crossfeed, Equalizer all
> enabled (sometimes adding Dithering to them) scrolling becomes sluggish
> and power consumption is higher. (inevitably:)
Small wonder. The equaliser alone will pretty much max out the Ipod CPU,
depending on which codec you use. Adding more will certainly not help
the situation.

> I also have Database enabled (which is loaded to RAM) and I wonder among
> all these settings which ones are the RAM grabbers (and battery
> drainers) so I shall turn some of them (or all of them?) off.
The only thing you mention which grabs RAM is the database. The other
three just use CPU power. The most hungry of them is the EQ with all
five bands enabled. Dithering and crossfeed are about equally intensive.
We hope this CPU problem will be dealt with better when we can use the
second CPU core in the Ipods.

Thom