Subject: PLEASE READ: Guidelines for posting to this list

PLEASE READ: Guidelines for posting to this list

From: Michael DiFebbo <medifebbo_at_rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 15:01:03 -0500

PLEASE follow these simple guidelines when posting to this list:

1. WHEN STARTING A NEW DISCUSSION, CREATE A NEW EMAIL.

Do not start a new discussion by replying to an e-mail on an
unrelated topic. When starting a new discussion, create a
new e-mail.

Many of us read this list in threaded view, and the practice
of replying to unrelated discussions creates a hopeless
jumble of unrelated topics. For example, someone recently
posted a question about the notes and contacts folders on an
iPod in response to an e-mail with the subject "2 quick X5
questions." That question has nothing to do with the
subject of the existing e-mail and should be posted in a
separate e-mail.

To understand why it is important to create a new e-mail for
new topics, take a look at the way e-mails are organized
when the list is viewed in a threaded view:
http://www.rockbox.org/mail/archive/rockbox-archive-2007-01/

The threads entitled "New member" and "Help with voice
files!" each contain discussions that were interrupted when
someone interjected an unrelated question by changing the
subject line in a reply rather than starting a fresh e-mail
thread.

NOTE: it is NOT sufficient to reply to an existing e-mail
simply change the subject when posting a new question. You
must actually start a NEW e-mail to ensure that a new thread
is created.

2. WHEN CONTINUING AN EXISTING DISCUSSION, DO *NOT* CREATE
A NEW MAIL.

This is the logical corollary to point number 1. If you ask
a question, and later want to add information or ask a
further question on the same topic, please reply to a prior
e-mail on that same subject rather than starting a new
e-mail. This keeps all of the discussion regarding a
particular question in the same spot in our web archive, and
also makes it much easier for people to follow the
discussion and provide information that will solve the
problem or answer the question.

Though the importance of this point should be self-evident,
let me give one concrete example of why you should not
create multiple e-mails on the same subject: As of the
moment I write this on January 5, 2007, this list has
already generated 208 e-mail messages this month. If you
ask a question on Thursday, and then supplement your
question on a Friday by saying "here's some new information
about the question I asked yesterday," I'm not going to dig
through potentially hundreds of e-mails to find your earlier
question. If you reply to your original e-mail, however,
your earlier question and the new information will show up
in a single thread in my e-mail client, and the odds that
you will get a useful answer are increased dramatically.

3. QUOTE ONLY WHAT IS NECESSARY.

Please trim from your e-mail all quoted material except that
which is necessary to put your reply into context. If you
are following steps 1 and 2 above, then it will be easy for
us to refer to prior e-mails if we need additional context
or additional information.