Subject: Playback Speed and Wishful Thinking

Playback Speed and Wishful Thinking

From: Alexandre Enkerli <enkerli_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 18:26:25 -0500

I'm the OP who posted a message here and a feature-request on the tracker
based on my mistaken perception that there was a difference between two
dimensions of the playback speed changes ("permanent" from 50% to 200% RT or
"bending" 98%/102% RT). A comment on the tracker allowed me to realize my
mistake and Dominik closed the item after that. (I posted here before I read
the tracker comment.)
I do apologize for any trouble I may have caused and I do realize that it
makes me look like a total n00b. Thing is, Rockbox is a rather complex
project and my attempts at finding tracker items or list posts on playback
speed didn't return the results I expected. Should have used other keywords
and, of course, I should have gone through the manual. Mea culpa, mea culpa,
mea maxima culpa.

Now. Timestretching is, in fact, a very desirable feature. Some people
realize its importance, but not everyone does. One effect of speeding up
spoken content (say, podcasts and audiobooks) is that it may increase our
comprehension of the material by focusing our attention. As I'm podcasting
my lectures, I find this effect quite interesting.
Whether or not timestretching can be done in Rockbox is difficult to know as
it's done on other platforms. WMP does timestretching with MP3s and probably
other formats. The iPod's original firmware allows for timestretching
audiobooks and other M4B content (DRMed or not). There might be a technical
limitation preventing the Rockbox MP3 decoder to timestretch but, if it's a
common enough idea, a clear statement on this impossibility would be useful.
Dominik might dislike the fact that the issue comes on a regular basis but
those of us who infrequently visit Rockbox.org may find it difficult to get
a broad picture of what issues have been discussed already.

Again, my sincere apologies for the confusion and thank you all for all your
help.

Alexandre, Rockbox newbie (with egg on his face)
http://enkerli.wordpress.com