Subject: Re: So What Am I Looking For?

Re: So What Am I Looking For?

From: Matthew Caron <>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 23:04:31 -0500

> There have been plenty of double-blind studies done at Hydrogen Audio
> that show that recent versions of LAME can achieve perceptual
> transparency (i.e., the inability of most listeners to distinguish the
> MP3 from the original .wav) at around the -V5 setting, which is a VBR
> setting that averages about 130kbps.

Also, have you guys tried ogg? Back a couple years ago, I did a test to
see if I could tell the difference amongst ogg, mp3 and CD. What I found
was that I couldn't tell the difference between ogg at quality 5 (which
is about 160kbps VBR, IIRC) and CD.

I haven't tried recent versions of LAME, however. I'm not going to rerip
everything again....

PGP Key:
 ~~ Matt Caron ~~