Subject: Re: iPod Battery Life

Re: iPod Battery Life

From: Mark <discardedswimwear_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 22:03:12 -0000

I've had a rather mixed experience with the battery life on my 1Gen iPod
Nano. Although I haven't sat down and tested this, and so my evidence is
rather anecdotal, I thought it might be worth passing on to see if anyone
else has had the same experiences and/or anyone has any comments.

I was using the 2006/10/04 Rockbox build on my Nano, and changed the "idle
power off" time to 30 minutes. After leaving it paused, but not turned off,
and with the battery level at something around 60%, the Nano was completely
discharged the following morning. I hadn't turned it off, and the music was
not playing. It appeared to me as if it had not gone to sleep after the 30
minutes.

I adjusted the idle power off time back to the default 10 minutes, and it
seemed to be better, or at the very least the power drain was minimal.

I have recently installed 2007/01/07 to the Nano, and changed the idle power
off time to three minutes. I unplugged it from the USB(PC) yesterday
afternoon and left it on my desk.
I have just picked it up and thought I'd check the battery level... 5%,
despite me not having touched it since I unplugged it.

It seems to me that simply changing the idle power off time from its default
value seems to disable the idle power off feature completely.

My Nano is fairly old, so I'm not expecting brilliant battery life from it,
but the change in performance when modifying the setting does seem
noticeable.

Any thoughts, or questions?

Mark