Re: The mailing lists etiquette guidelines

From: Mike Holden <>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:37:53 -0000 (UTC)

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> 3. Replying to a message from the list.
> When you do reply to a message someone else has posted, please use
> the "Group reply" or "Reply to all" button on your mailer.
> Individual developers don't know everything, and by replying to
> them personally, you effectively cut yourself off from all the
> other people who could help you. Please ensure that you reply to
> the list and the sender of the message.

Hope my etiquette is ok here!!! :)

Should we be encouraging users to reply to both the list and the original
sender? Surely a reply to the list is adequate? Otherwise, the original
poster gets 2 copies of the reply, since they get a list copy and a
personal copy.

Personally, I always reply just to the list. Clicking "Reply" is adequate,
as the list is configured correctly in that all posts are "munged" so that
"From:" is the mailing list, not the original sender.

Mike Holden - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted
items, including Greetings Cards, Jewellery and Gifts