Subject: Re: charging the ipod video

Re: charging the ipod video

From: Bob Jonkman <bjonkman_at_sobac.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 23:34:18 -0500

This is what Sarah <kales2_at_cox.net> said
about "Re: charging the ipod video" on 26 Jan 2007 at 13:05

> What is this software charging? I just plug minein t the usb port and hope
> for the best.

When I use the wall charger I make sure that the iPod boots with the original firmware by
holding 'Menu' (top of scroll wheel) while it boots. Then I hold down 'Play/Stop' (bottom of
scroll wheel) to shut it down, and I see the full-screen animated image of the battery
charging. So, it seems that the Apple firmware is monitoring the charging, and I think it's
probably controlling the charging current and duration of the charging cycle as well.

I was wondering what the Rockbox software does to monitor or control the charging cycle, since
it's my experience that I get a better charge when the Apple firmware is running.

--Bob.

> > This is what Jack Zhou <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se> said
> > about "Re: charging the ipod video" on 24 Jan 2007 at 20:48
> >
> >> lol ok I use Apple's firmware to charge.
> >
> > Me too. It seems to charge faster, more thoroughly, and holds the
> > charge longer.
> > (iPod Mini 1st Gen, with fading battery capacity)
> >
> > What sort of software control do Rockbox and iPod firmware have over
> > battery charging?
> >
> > --Bob.

> >> --
> >> Jack Zhou

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman@sobac.com> http://sobac.com/sobac/
SOBAC Microcomputer Services Voice: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada N3B 1L5 Cel: +1-519-635-9413
Networking -- Office & Business Automation -- Consulting
PGP:0xAE33E989 Fingrprnt:9FAF A6AC B567 BC10 8973 7CF0 CB27 0317