Subject: Re: Rockbox and the Iriver USB Charging Cradle

Re: Rockbox and the Iriver USB Charging Cradle

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:23:01 -0000 (UTC)

Dj Paddy wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I bought an Iriver the other week and instead of the charger it came with
> US one and the USB Charging Cradle.

My unit came with the docking cradle, which takes a USB cable AND a power
charger, so it can do both - is yours the same, or is it only USB?

> When I plug my Iriver, (which has RB on it), into my notebook the drive
> boots up and pops into life in explorer.
>
> Is this still charging? I was told I'd have to push the power button to
> get
> it to boot otherwise the player would charge.

I don't believe Rockbox currently charges via USB, without using patched
software.

If you want to charge via USB, you will need to boot into the original
iriver firmwaer rather than Rockbox. To do this, press and hold the record
button (top right of the button cluster) while you press the power button.
Once it starts up, release the button after a second or two, then wait a
minute or so for the incredibly slow iriver firmware to scan your
harddrive and boot up. YOu can then plug into usb and charge.

A power cable is far better, as it charges a lot quicker, and according to
some people is better for the battery as well.

If you don't have a power connector (wall wart), you can probably buy a
universal one for a few pounds/dollars/yen/euros from any electrical
store.
--
Mike Holden
http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted