Subject: Re: a lot of questions here

Re: a lot of questions here

From: Woody Anna Dresner <wadresner_at_hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 21:45:50 -1000

Hi Tyler,

VoiceBox doesn't work with the database view, so if you use it,
everything will have to be spelled. For this reason, I've never used
it; I just organize my music as well as I can, putting each artist in
a separate folder and each album by that artist in a subfolder of the
artist folder.

With most iPods, the estimate is that Rockbox reduces the battery
life by half. There are lots of chips on the iPod that Rockbox
developers can't figure out what they do because Apple doesn't
release specs that include this information. As a result, some
functions on the iPod are probably on that don't need to be. The
situation may improve, but there are no guarantees.

To get the menus to speak well, it's important to have an up-to-date
voice file. The most up-to-date ones are generated automatically at
http://www.klarich.net/rockbox/
and
http://tbrn.net/rockbox/
The latter site uses a program called 7zip, available free from
www.7zip.com. When you use one of these, be sure to change its name
to english.voice.

As for VoiceBox, it creates a voice clip that speaks the name of
every music file and folder on your player, and these clips are
played back when you choose "talk MP3" in the Speak Folder and Speak
File settings.

Cheers,
Anna