Subject: Re: Email ettiquette (was RE: windows won't detect my ipod)

Re: Email ettiquette (was RE: windows won't detect my ipod)

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.org>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 12:08:18 -0000 (UTC)

Nathan Hevenstone wrote:
> I top-post, myself (I'm doing that here). And I do that for two reasons:
>
> 1. It's easier for me
> 2. I use Gmail, which sets top-post by default, and it's easier to read on
> Gmail with top-posting.
>
> To me, the bottom-posting on emails gets really confusing, because of the
> way previous emails are quoted. And no, I'm not blind or anything. It's
> just easier that way. Like Chris said: I'd rather see the reply and then
> the original message rather than the other way around, mainly because,
> when
> reading a new email, it's for the reply, not the message the sender is
> replying to.

It's not top or bottom posting I'm talking about though, it's the way that
posters put no separation between what they are writing and what various
other people have written previously. It makes it very difficult to figure
out what the new poster has actually written!

All mail programs that I have used make some distinction between the
quoted text and the new text by using arrow symbols or some other marker,
and also put flags in that say "Nathan Hevenstone wrote:" - see above for
a prime example of this. If there were quotes of quotes, and quotes of
quotes of quotes, then the above would have several layers of multiple
arrow symbols, each denoting a different previous post.
--
Mike Holden