Subject: RE: power down? USB connection question

RE: power down? USB connection question

From: Woody Anna Dresner <wadresner_at_hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 09:58:37 -1000

.From: "Tyler Wood"<tcwood12_at_shaw.ca>
.I'm using ipod video 5 gen. In the manual, it tells me to hold play to power down the player; however this isn't working. Does it mean hold play and flick the hold switch? Also, how do I plug the unit into the pc? I'll get unrecognized device, then, sometime or another, it will connect. It always seem to connect randomly, and disconnect in the same way, so, this really isn't great for copying 15.5 gb of music- I got 5 percent through and it disconnected on me.
Hi Tyler,

If you are in the menus or file browser, holding down Play (the bottom button) for a few seconds (4 on the Nano - I don't know whether it's the same on the Video)
Should power it down. If a file is playing, hold Play down for about 2 seconds first (again, the timing may be different on the Video) to get to the menus or file browser.

As for transferring files, in the past it was best to switch to the Apple firmware first because USB support was better in the Apple firmware than in Rockbox, so transfers went much faster. I haven't been running recent builds long enough to know whether this has changed in the past month. You might try switching to the Apple firmware and seeing whether the transfer works any better. Then switch back to Rockbox when the transfer is done.

Cheers,
Anna