Subject: Re: power down? USB connection question

Re: power down? USB connection question

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 14:10:08 -0600

It's not that Rockbox has 'poor' USB support. Rockbox doesn't have
any. When you plug in a USB cable, you're rebooted into one of the
built-in USB modes.

It would be possible for it to reboot into the Apple software, but
that requires a manual reboot back, and there is no guarantee that a
user will have left their Apple software installed. Instead we reboot
into what is known as the 'emergency disk mode,' or often simply
called 'disk mode' because it is in flash, so we know it should always
be there, and because it will automatically reboot the device when
you're finished with it. Unfortunately on some iPods the disk mode in
flash is sometimes significantly slower than the disk mode in the
normal Apple firmware, so it is sometimes preferable to reset to Apple
for USB use if you need to transfer a large amount of data.

That means any problems once you're actually in the disk mode are
unlikely to be related to the fact that you have Rockbox installed.
While trying the Apple firmware disk mode is a good idea, you may also
want to check your cable or try using a different USB port on your
computer.