Subject: Re: Dictionary plugin

Re: Dictionary plugin

From: Timo Horstschäfer <>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:32:04 +0100

desowin wrote:
> Dnia sobota, 17 marca 2007, Tapio Kelloniemi napisał:
> > And why command-line? Because GUI apps cannot be automated. How does one
> > automatically regenerate one's rockbox dictionary files every time the
> > original dict files are updated, if the app is graphical? Also cmdline
> > tools are more accessible, and some people just don't want to install
> > extra GUI toolkit libraries.
I'd also vote for a command line utility, because of flexibility.

But I also want to point you to my new dict plugin[1]. I would like to see it
supported by your frontend.

Its file format compatible to Stardict[2] and is almost the same as the one of
the current dict plugin.
The index files look as follows:
        struct {
            char word[]; /* variable, zero-terminated */
            unit32_t offset;
            uint32_t size;
Both uint32_ts are big endian, that's all.

[1] FS# 6697

  Timo Horstschäfer