Subject: Re: Voice support suggestion

Re: Voice support suggestion

From: Onj <onj_at_andrelouis.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:33:51 -0000

On Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:48 AM,
Linus Nielsen Feltzing happened to mention in passing:

> Hi all!
>
> This question is primarily directed towards the blind community, who
> rely on the voice to operate the player.
>
> Would it be helpful if the menu title is spoken when you enter a menu
> which is not directly selected by a menu item?
>
> My idea is this:
>
> If you press Menu to reach the main menu from the WPS, it would say
> "Main menu", followed by the currently selected menu, for example
> "Files". You then navigate to "Settings" and press SELECT. This time it
> will *not* speak the menu title, because it is obvious that you entered
> that menu, so it will directly speak the first item in the settings
> menu, "Sound Settings".
>
> Now you leave the Settings menu by pressing Left. This time it will say
> the menu title again, "Main menu", followed by the currently selected
> item, "Settings".
>
> Comments? Suggestions?
>
> Linus

I definitely like the idea very much and think it would prove usefull. Out
of interest and I promice this is a related question, what happens if you
press menu followed by other buttons? If nothing, then how about there
could be a set of pre-defined options?
For example, sometimes and it is very rare, my Iriver will simply stop
voicing menus and yes, I could add the option to speak again by manually
editing config.cfg but that assumes I am near a computer. There are what, 8
possible combinations of button-press with the menu button depressed.
So the reason I bring this up, is so that if this does happen, either you as
the user can define a list of possible shortcuts, else they're built into
rockbox.
IE, Menu +select: Turn on voice menus. Not necessarily that combination you
understand, but it would fix it for the immediate future.
Before the menu was changed with the root menu,it was simple enough to press
menu, down twice or just once depending on if you had recent bookmarkes
enabled, right, up, right, right, down and right to go to voice >voice menus
yes. Since it's not always the same place people enter menu's anymore this
could prove a little difficult.
Perhaps I am simply complaining too much, but I just thought it might be a
nice idea.
The one I especially wonder about is menu +record button. At the moment the
record button doesn't do anything, but if it were to do something, I believe
it should go to the recording screen. Menu +record button could take you to
recording settings. Any thoughts?