Subject: Re: getting to WPS from Resume on Startup

Re: getting to WPS from Resume on Startup

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 11:12:38 +0100

Woody Anna Dresner wrote:
> I'm very confused. When I start the iPod, playback begins because I
> have Resume on Startup turned on.

Then you are using an old Rockbox version. The Resume on startup option
was removed when the Main menu was introduced.

> However, if I press Play for two
> seconds, I am in the main menu, not in the folder where the file I am
> playing is.

When stopping playback, Rockbox returns to the screen that you were in
last. However, when your Start screen is the WPS, the last screen is the
Main menu.

> You say that pressing Play takes you to the WPS. I tried
> pressing Play; playback stopped. I pressed it again and playback
> resumed.

Exactly. The Play button took you to the WPS, and playback resumed.

> When I held down Play for two seconds, playback stopped and I
> was still in the main menu, not the folder containing the file I was
> playing.

Yes, because Rockbox takes you back to the last visited screen, which
was the Main menu in this case.

> So maybe I'm asking the wrong question. Is there a quick way
> to move focus to the folder containing the file I am playing?

Yes. Enable Follow playlist, then enter the file browser from the WPS.

> If I want
> to know the name of the currently playing file or play some other file
> in the same folder, it doesn't seem like I should have to choose Files,
> then the correct folder or series of folders to get to the place where
> the file I am playing is.

No. Follow the advice I gave earlier:

When you are in the WPS, press SELECT to get to the file browser. If
Follow Playlist is enabled, it should take you to the currently playing