Subject: Menus don't speak during paused playback

Menus don't speak during paused playback

From: Rich <richtone_at_vnet.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:02:27 -0500

What happens on the screen when you press pause while a track is playing? Does a special PP (paused playback) screen appear?

Intuitively, I would predict that all of the same speaking menus would appear when the player is playing and when it is paused. This is not the case on my Iriver X5.

While playing a track, pressing record brings up the main menu. If instead, playback is paused and the record button is pressed, no speech occurs and arrows nor select result in speech either. While paused, play pressed twice results in playback and the voice announces :now playing" but it is not left in the main menu.

Similarly, while playback is paused and a long select is pressed, I would predict that I would arrive at a speaking WPS context menu. Instead, no speech occurs. While paused, play pressed twice results in playback and the voice announces "Sound settings" but it is not left in the WPS context menu.

Finally, while playback is paused and a short select is pressed, I would predict I would arrive in a speaking file browser. Instead, no speech occurs. While paused, play pressed twice results in playback and the voice announces the currently playing track name (if "follow play list" is enabled) but it is not left in the file browser.

I have investigated these three different speechless contexts while paused and it seems that the desired menus are reached and are usable, they just don't talk. Is this a bug or has the development just not yet occured for this?

In some cases, loud music tends to cover over the spoken menus while playing so it is very appealing to be able to navigate these menus while playback is paused.

Thank you,

Richard
***