Subject: RE: iriver H340 instability

RE: iriver H340 instability

From: Grant Hardy <grant_hardy_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:17:47 -0700

> On 3/26/07, Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se> wrote:
>
> Grant Hardy wrote:
> > My iriver H340 w/Rockbox has recently been very unstable: it
> freezes a lot;
> > takes a long time to load songs (at varying times); and won't even
> let me
> > backup the contents of my iriver to the computer because,
> according to
> > Windows Explorer, certain files failed a "redundancy check".
>

> Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
>

> >This surely sounds like your hard drive is dying. It could also be
> a bad
> >hard drive connection, or even a dying battery.
>

> That's definitely a dying hard drive.You may have to have your iriver
> repaired.
> See if you can recover anything from the drive, then have someone help you
> get
> the drive replaced with a new one.
OK, two questions.
1) The unit still mostly plays files just fine. Is it DEFINITELY a hard
disk problem or could it just need reformatting? Is there a way to test
this out?
2) If the drive needs to be replaced, a sighted person tells me that the
pictures of hard drive replacement look extremely complicated. Is this
true, and if so, are there places that will do this for you for a reasonable
price?

Grant