Subject: RE: iriver H340 instability

RE: iriver H340 instability

From: Grant Hardy <grant_hardy_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:15:05 -0700

Hello,

This is an update on my iriver H340 situation. For those who don't
remember, it appeared that my hard drive was failing due to its symptoms
which included instability, freezing, and errors like "cyclic redundancy
check" upon trying to copy files from the player to the computer.

Well, I had most of my media on the computer so went ahead and deleted and
recreated a new FAT32 partition in Swissknife. Admittedly I didn't perform
a "full format" on the partition; I think Swissknife did a "quick format" on
it. I THEN, on an empty drive, ran Chkdsk /R and was told that there were
no problems and was given a report of free space and the like. There wasn't
any mention of bad sectors. Excited, I copied a folder containing a build
of Rockbox to the player and was told..."cyclic redundancy check error"
again...

So that's where I am now. Putting my ear up to the player after the cyclic
redundancy check failed, the motor is still on. What do the signs point to?

Thanks all,

Grant