Subject: Re: Considering Toshiba Gigabeat f40

Re: Considering Toshiba Gigabeat f40

From: Ed Nickl <pioneer4x4_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:14:30 -0400

Anyone have any insight for me?
    I am considering a Gigabeat F40 mainly for added features of Rockbox. I am very interested in video playback. How well does it work, and do you lose any features by going to rockbox over the official firmware?

    The potential for a interface project interests me also. The Toshiba seems to have the best hardware for the money. I want to be able to play standard mp3s, and m4a would be a plus.

    As for the video playback, what all is functional, and what bitrate is required for good quality? I make wmvs for a coworkers Zune and at 1000kbps they look great, but mpeg1 or mpeg2 might not look as good as WMV at that bitrate/resolution combo.