Subject: Re: iAudio X5 repair help/advice

Re: iAudio X5 repair help/advice

From: Ray Lambert <>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 11:27:12 -0400 (EDT)

Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> Ray Lambert wrote:
>> 2) To those of you who are familiar with the X5 internals, is there any
>> hope of my possibly repairing it myself? I'm pretty good with a
>> soldering
>> iron, but not good enough to repair surface mount components, which is
>> what I expect to find. Is it even worth my opening it to look and see?
> I had a quick look at the hardware, and it looks like the charging
> circuit itself is pretty well protected, but the charger detection logic
> is not. It may very well be that the detection is broken, but the
> charging still works.
> If the detection is broken, you will not be able to repair it yourself,
> since you would have to replace the CPU...
> Your only chance would be to nag us developers to develop the code to
> handle charging in Rockbox, and have a manual procedure to tell Rockbox
> that the charger is attached.
> Let's hope I'm wrong about having to replace the CPU...
> Linus

Hi Linus,

Thanks for the info.

If it's as bad as you suspect (i.e. replacing the CPU) that sounds like a
pretty expensive repair; maybe nearly as much as a new unit! That's a
major drag. :(

As you may recall, I am actually a (very part time) developer myself.
What would be involved with writing the manual procedure that you
suggested? Is it just a matter of creating a menu item and tweaking a bit
somewhere to activate charging or is there something more complex

If you want to post your reply to the developers list to discuss the
coding please do; I'm on both lists.

Thanks again,