Subject: Re: Mpeg Player (Gigabeat)

Re: Mpeg Player (Gigabeat)

From: Michael Sevakis <jethead71_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 00:18:14 -0400

Banding as in color banding? We don't have 24-bit color, just 16 bit but for
gigabeat dithering the video should be possible and you'll hardly if at all
see any difference from 24-bit given the high screen resolution. First
things first though. Optimizing the video codec will likely leave enough
free cycles for it and I really don't think dithering it will add much
overhead at all on the ARM CPU. Now as far as tearing goes, trying to sync
updates to the LCD refresh will in many cases make the frames unacceptably
jittery. The tearing actually helps conceal the framerate differences to
give an overall smoother appearance...a default for of temporal dithering if
you will.