Subject: Rockbox on H340 and pregnant pauses

Rockbox on H340 and pregnant pauses

From: Robin Christopherson <robin.christopherson_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 20:44:51 +0100

Dear all

I'm very new to Rockbox and have recently acquired a second hand iRiver H340 which I assume is working properly - it's just that there are several pauses when speech ceases and it takes a long time and many key presses to get it back. I should mention that I'm blind and I know that certain screens in the firmware aren't voiced - but this seems to be more widespread than that. I can't say for sure when it happens so can't explain more clearly - but I'm not referring to the small pauses while the HD spins up.

Couple of general Qs - does anyone know how I can be sure I have the latest firmware and have it installed properly? Does anyone know of a good manual for the H340 that doesn't refer to visual screenshots etc as the online manual seems to do?

Also when listening to books (my main reason for using it) is there a way of automatically keeping the place in the filename in each book when leaving it to listen to other books and then come back to it again? Would this require using bookmarks? Is there a way of moving through large files like books more quickly than simply by holding down the left or right arrows?

And lastly two more Qs about the excellent Voicebox scripts utility - does anyone know how I can get it to respect the default TTS engine specified in the speech settings in control panel (it always seems to use Microsoft Sam whatever default voice I specify) and lastly how can I make it voice all folders and filenames and not miss a few out (like the Rockbox program folder itself)?

Thanks and apologies for all the Qs - if anyone can answer any of them please mail the list or me directly.

Cheers, Robin.