Subject: Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, we have SOUND!

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, we have SOUND!

From: Robert Menes <>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 17:10:49 -0400

On 5/21/07, Brian Wolven <> wrote:
> Robert Menes wrote:
> >

> > On 5/20/07, *Jens Arnold* <
> > <>> wrote:
> >
> > >I am happy to announce that rockbox just played music for the
> > >first time on an iPod Video G5.5 80GB. While this one isn't a
> > >completely new target, it's a much awaited one, complementing
> > >rockbox support on the iPod Video series.
> >

> > This is amazing! I held back on buying an 80GB iPod when I found out
> that
> > it wasn't supported at the time (back in December 2006). Now that it is,
> I'm
> > thinking about getting one... once the kinks are worked out of the port,
> of
> > course. :)
> >Try to listen before you buy. I recently purchased a 30GB 5.5G, and was
> dismayed
> >when I sat down to listen to some music. The background hiss level,
> independent
> >of the volume setting, was so loud that I could only be happy listening
> to metal
> >and hard rock on it. Acoustic guitar, choral, classical - forget it. The
> hiss
> >was clearly audible over the quieter passages. A look at the iPod support
> forums
> >confirms that this is not an isolated issue. My old Mini is much superior
> in the
> >sound quality department.
> >As much as I *want* to like it, I'm afraid it's going to be going
> back. =(

What audio codec are you using? And that's strange, because I bought a 30GB
video and have very few problems with the audio on it. The regular iPod
firmware is
pretty weak in the audio department, but I tweaked the sound a little in
and it sounds excellent.

I use mostly Vorbis and FLAC for my music collection, with some MP3s here
and there.
I also have a huge collection of NSF (Nintendo music) files, many C64 SIDs,
and several
sets of SNES SPC files, and with the exception of muted audio on the SPCs,
sounds clean as a bell.

But it could also be the headphones you use. Try another pair.

(Rockbox user since 12/28/06; running on a 5.5G iPod video; 30GB)