Subject: Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, we have SOUND!

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, we have SOUND!

From: Robert Menes <viewtiful.icchan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 17:10:49 -0400

On 5/21/07, Brian Wolven <bcwolven_at_jhu.edu> wrote:

> Robert Menes wrote:
> >

> > On 5/20/07, *Jens Arnold* <arnold-j_at_t-online.de
> > <mailto:arnold-j_at_t-online.de>> wrote:
> >
> > >I am happy to announce that rockbox just played music for the
> > >first time on an iPod Video G5.5 80GB. While this one isn't a
> > >completely new target, it's a much awaited one, complementing
> > >rockbox support on the iPod Video series.
> >

> > This is amazing! I held back on buying an 80GB iPod when I found out
> that
> > it wasn't supported at the time (back in December 2006). Now that it is,
> I'm
> > thinking about getting one... once the kinks are worked out of the port,
> of
> > course. :)
>
> >Try to listen before you buy. I recently purchased a 30GB 5.5G, and was
> dismayed
> >when I sat down to listen to some music. The background hiss level,
> independent
> >of the volume setting, was so loud that I could only be happy listening
> to metal
> >and hard rock on it. Acoustic guitar, choral, classical - forget it. The
> hiss
> >was clearly audible over the quieter passages. A look at the iPod support
> forums
> >confirms that this is not an isolated issue. My old Mini is much superior
> in the
> >sound quality department.
>
> >As much as I *want* to like it, I'm afraid it's going to be going
> back. =(

What audio codec are you using? And that's strange, because I bought a 30GB
iPod
video and have very few problems with the audio on it. The regular iPod
firmware is
pretty weak in the audio department, but I tweaked the sound a little in
Rockbox
and it sounds excellent.

I use mostly Vorbis and FLAC for my music collection, with some MP3s here
and there.
I also have a huge collection of NSF (Nintendo music) files, many C64 SIDs,
and several
sets of SNES SPC files, and with the exception of muted audio on the SPCs,
everything
sounds clean as a bell.

But it could also be the headphones you use. Try another pair.

Rob
(Rockbox user since 12/28/06; running on a 5.5G iPod video; 30GB)