Subject: .lng file format

.lng file format

From: Paul Erkens <pjealt_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 19:57:28 +0200

Hi list,

Where can I get the specification of the current rockbox .lng file format? I am going to create two new voice files: one in Dutch, and another in slower English. The voices currently available are okay, but too fast for people who don't speak English often.

The first step in the tutorial on the rockbox site states that I should compare the local Dutch language file to the English one, to find any modifications in newer versions. But in order to do so, I must understand the file structure or better, have some sort of editor for it.

Looking at the .lng files from within notepad, it seems that each item, being a record, starts with a 2-byte value indicating its index number in the menu system, followed by the item's text in plain ascii. Other values I can't make out for the moment, even in a hex editor it's hard to get a good overview, because the record length is not a fixed size.

Are there any editing tools available for the windows gui, or for a simple console session in a dos box on the pc?

Paul.